Teenage skin is often clouded with skin issues such as acne, pimples, and blemishes. Let us have a look at essential skin care tips to control and prevent these skin woes in teenage years and achieve a flawless skin.
Teenage skin is generally very oily, thanks to the ever-changing hormones that can cause the sebaceous glands to over produce sebum. Many teenage boys and girls get zits and acne due to poor eating habits, improper digestion, lack of sleep, heavy makeup, unclean makeup brushes, pore-clogging skin products etc. All these can contribute an environment for bacterial growth and thus cause acne and pimples.
While there is not much one can do about hormones, one can surely control of the skin woes by a proper skin care regime. What you need is a gentle cleanser, preferably with ingredients such as Green Tea that is full of anti-oxidants. Use the cleanser at least twice a day to keep the oiliness at bay. After cleansing the skin, it is essential to use a mild toner to remove any traces of the cleanser as well as to close the pores.
Causes of acne and pimples
Acne and pimples are a result of three actors in combination-sebum, dead skin cells, and bacterial growth.
Sebum is the skin’s natural oil that is produced by sebaceous glands to keep the skin naturally moisturized. When the production of sebum is more than needed, it clogs the pores which lead to pimples and blackheads. Also, when the skin starts to shed too many dead cells it may result in an outbreak too. These become a breeding ground for zits.
While bacteria are found all over a clear skin too, when the sebum is overproduced and there is an outbreak of pimples, bacterial growth multiplies. Bacteria feeds on sebum produces fatty acids and irritates the pores that cause the skin to become red and inflamed. This redness and soreness result in blemishes.
Myths surrounding acne
- A common myth is that acne can be spread through contact. However, it is a wrong notion. Acne is not spread through contact It is the bacteria on the skin that causes acne.
- Another myth is that when excessive dirt accumulates, bacteria grows and causes acne. however, too much of washing can irritate the sink and cause the production of excessive sebum.
- Acne is treatable. While many people think that once you get acne, you have to live with it, it is wrong! With a proper skin are a regime and the right diet, acne can be cured and prevented.
Tips to fight teenage blemish
A good skin care regime can work wonders to get a clear skin.
- Wash your face at least twice a day with a mild cleanser. Ingredients such as Green Tea and Willow Bark extract are effective in drying out acne.
- Use a mild toner to clean the face after cleansing. This helps to close the pores.
- A mild moisturizer will bring back balance and nourishment to the skin without being too greasy.
- A deep cleansing mask will cleanse the skin from depth, thus removing the dead skin cells.
- Petroleum and mineral oil based products block up the pores. Try avoiding these.
- Always remove makeup before going to the bed. Use a mild face wash and makeup remover to do so.
- Do not wash your face with hot water. Rather, use Luke warm water to do so.
- Touching your face too much causes transfer of bacteria from hands to the face and makes breakout common.
- Keep yourself hydrated. Drink plenty of water so the impurities pass out with the urine.
- Avoid junk and oily food. Even sugar, soft drinks, and highly seasoned food cause an imbalance in the skin.
- Eat plenty of fresh fruits, green leafy vegetables, and foods rich in Omega 3 fatty acids. Also, eat foods sufficient in Vitamin B2 such as whole grains, nuts, and beans.